Venue

Porto Seguro is where the History of Brazil started. The first spot of Brazilian mainland to be seen by the Portuguese was Santa Cruz de Cabrália, named after Pedro Álvares Cabral, the captain of the fleet which discovered Brazil. Cabral didn´t set foot on Cabrália, though. He sailed about 30 km southwards, until he found a bay where the waters were particularly tranquil. He called the bay Porto Seguro, which means Safe Haven. The landscape hasn't changed much since Cabral's fleet saw it and Caminha described it in his letter to the King of Portugal. One hundred beaches are framed by the Atlantic Rainforest and cliffs ranging in color from white to red.

It´s possible to find tranquility in one of the many hotels scattered along the coast. The stretch from Porto Seguro to Caravelas is called the Costa do Descobrimento (Coast of the Discovery). The restaurants, resorts and quality inns of Arraial D'Ajuda, Trancoso and Caraíva offer charm and sophistication. Further south, Cumuruxatiba is the current tourist magnet, combining simplicity with the modern equipment required for boat or jeep excursions. Spectacular coral reefs and humpback whales await divers at the National Marine Park of Abrolhos, close to the pleasant historical city of Caravelas.

Porto Seguro – Historic Center

Porto Seguro has important landmarks of Brazilian History, for example:

  • Marco da Posse: A marble monument marking Portugal's possession of Brazil engraved with the royal seal of the Portuguese Crown and the cross of the Order of Christ, brought from Portugal by the Gonçalo Coelho expedition, in 1503;
  • Igreja de Nossa Senhora da Pena (Church of Nossa Senhora da Pena): Built in 1535, this church holds Brazil's first religious statue, of Saint Francis of Assis;
  • Museu do Descobrimento. Museum of the Discovery. The former site of the House of Representatives and the Jail, and a great example of the 18th century architecture;
  • Igreja da Misericórdia (Church of Mercy): Built in 1526. Features a remarkable image of Christ on the cross;
  • Igreja de São Benedito (Church of São Benedito): Built by the jesuits, probably in 1549. Enjoy the breeze and the magnificent view of the coast;
  • Ruins of the Colégio dos Jesuítas: The Jesuit school was created in 1551. Today there are native dance and capoeira presentations held on the site in front of the ruins.

For more information about the city Porto Seguro, visit the websites below:

www.arraial-d-ajuda.com

www.arraialdajuda.org.br